The Perfect Pair(ings) for Valentine's Day

Valentine's with Airlie and Fabbioli Cellars

Valentine’s 2016 is right around the corner and we’re thrilled to be welcoming Fabbioli Cellars back to Airlie for our first Signature Dinner Series event of the year.  The dinner has sold out, but that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on enjoying Fabbioli wine for the occasion. To that end, Eileen Francisco, Fabbioli’s General Manager, has shared some pairing ideas for the wines we will be pouring at Airlie this Saturday evening. {Read through to the end to see our own Chef Jeff Witte's Valentine's pairing pick - you won't be disappointed!}

Fabbioli Pear Port Fabbioli Pear Port


2014 Apertif Pear Wine

"Pears" well with:  Pear, Chestnut and Rosemary-Stuffed Turkey Breast, Apple Pie, Brie, French Toast, Cheesecake

Description: A 100% pear product port-style wine in which a portion of the wine is distilled into a pear brandy by Catocin Creek Distilling Co. shortly after fermentation. The base wine is then fermented with the brandy and aged in French Oak barrels. It doesn’t get more local than this!

From the winemaker: The nose is rich with aromas of butterscotch, fresh pears and oak. The palate opens with flavors of pear and ginger, finishing with heavy vanilla notes.”

 

2014 Viognier

Pairs well with: Oysters, Crab, Grilled Shrimp, Pan Seared Scallops with lemon rosemary reduction, Artichoke Dip

Description: 40% of the Viognier aged in French oak barrels; the remaining 60% in stainless steel. They were blended right before bottling.

From the winemaker: “The nose is full of fresh apricot and peach with a little sweet vanilla. The palate is bright and crisp with peach and pear. The finish is dominated with vanilla and brown sugar from the judicious use of older French oak.”

Fabbioli Charcuterie Fabbioli Charcuterie

2013 Tre Sorelle

Pairs well with: Charcuterie, Grilled Proscuitto-Wrapped Asparagus, Beef Bourguignon, a wide variety of Italian dishes

Description: Fabbioli’s flagship Bordeaux Blend composed of 65% Merlot; 20% Cabernet Sauvignon; 10% Cabernet Franc; 5% Petit Verdot. Aged 11 months in French Oak barrels.

From the winemaker: “This is our flagship blend with the first vintage appearing in 2004. As the vines continue to mature, the flavors of the wine have increased in depth and intensity. This wine is a true expression of our estate vineyard’s terroir.”

 

2012 Royalty

Pairs well with: Dark Chocolate

Description: Port-style Dessert Wine composed of 54% Chambourcin; 37% Tannat; 9% Cabernet Sauvignon. Aged 22 months in French and American Oak barrels.

From the winemaker: “This after dinner winter warmer is a traditional port style wine fortified with our own brandy. The nose opens with smoke and hickory, followed by blackberry and vanilla. Cinnamon, black pepper and vanilla add a little spice to the blackberry fruit on the palate.”

 

What could be more romantic than Italian cuisine and red wine? Chef Jeff shares the Airlie recipe for Valentine's success below...

Airlie House Pappardelle Bolognese with Fabbioli Tre Sorelle

Fabbioli Tre Sorelle Fabbioli Tre Sorelle

Four servings:
16 oz. favorite tomato Pomodoro sauce recipe, adding 2 oz. Tre Sorelle to flavor
16 oz. favorite fresh dried pasta, pappardelle or linguine.  Par boil to al dente, 7-10 min.
8 oz. of pancetta, small strips
1 pt. Very small dice mirepoix and red peppers for ‘soffritto’
1 ½ lb. veal chuck, season with salt and pepper, sear and braise with 16 oz. stock over mirepoix.  Cook covered, at 300F until internal temperature 185° or able to be pulled apart, about 2 ½ hours.
4 oz. beef stock
½ oz. fresh basil leaves, chopped

For each serving:
4 oz. Pappardelle noodles, or other pasta equivalent
2 oz. Pancetta
Soffrito, 2 oz.
Veal, braised and pullable  5-6 oz.
Tomato Pomodoro, 4 oz.
Pecorino Romano, shaved as needed
Chopped basil as needed

In sauté over medium heat, render pancetta and add soffrito once pancetta is almost crisp.  Sauté until soffrito starts to soften. Deglaze with 4 oz. Tre Sorelle and 4 oz. stock, reduce by half and add Pomodoro.  Bring to simmer and add pasta, pulled veal, herbs and season with salt and pepper.  Once pasta is hot, place on plates and finish with pecorino.   Enjoy with a large glass of Fabbioli Tre Sorelle.

 

Best wishes for a lovely Valentine's weekend. Cheers!

This entry was posted in Airlie Dining,. Events,. Holidays,. Recipes,. Tips from Airlie,. Wine Pairings. Bookmark the permalink.
Airlie

Written by Airlie

Sample text here

Categories

All Categories

Stay Connected

Instagram